After all of this talk about healthy eating, our sweet tooth is starting to feel ignored! Is it just us or is it a constant battle between your health/fitness goals and your, oh so hard to ignore little bugga of a sweet tooth? The struggle is real, my friends.
This past month, we have brought you recipes that focus on a healthy spin on some of our favorite things — banana oatmeal breakfast bites, quinoa and black bean stuffed bell peppers, and spaghetti squash spaghetti. Why not have a healthy spin on dessert, too?
Now, we are not recommending to make this part of your regular diet, but if you just can’t stand the fight any longer, might as well cave into a healthier option.
Here we bring you, Drum Roll Please… Zucchini Chocolate Brownies!
Yes, zucchini. Now, before you start to worry about a huge vegetable being in your brownie- what? That doesn’t belong there!? Pause. Relax. And listen up, because here at Tribe Magazine, we will not lead you astray. These brownies (based on a 15 bar count) only have 87 calories. Say what!? Disclaimer: this is not including the optional ad-ins.
2 cups finely grated Zucchini (we used organic)
1 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup baking cocoa
2/3 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup chocolate chips
Frosting: 1/2 cup butterscotch chips, 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips, and 1/2 cup peanut butter, melted together to make heavenly goodness.
Try it out!
– Pre-heat oven to 350º F. Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.
– Mix the zucchini, apple sauce, vanilla, eggs, and brown sugar together. This will form the wet-mix.
– Now, start to add in and stir together the baking cocoa, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and if you are using the add-ins, include the 1/2 cup of milk chocolate chips.
– Bake for about 45 minutes (this depends on oven – you may need to adjust).
– If you made the frosting, go ahead and lather it on top once it is out of the oven.