In this day and age, it is so easy to get wrapped up in all the terrible, scary things happening in the world. The fear tactics of the media reporting on natural disasters, wars, plane crashes, new diseases…there is a lot to be afraid of.
Since I became a mother, I have a whole new set of worries and fears. Don’t get me wrong, these things are terrible and terrifying and really are realities for a lot of people around the world, but there are so many other things that are knocking at my door that are at the top of my mind. Mom things. Why? Because they are actually possible realities for me or my children. These are things that I am faced with on a daily basis as a mother. Sure, those other things can kill you, but these things…they are real too. And they scare the shit out of me.
- Head lice – People…these are bugs in your hair. That’s horrific.
- Hearing your child say “my tummy hurts” – Nothing makes my stomach sink like hearing these three dreaded words. Sends me into sheer panic every time.
- One of the kids sneezing and spraying me with snot – I think about this often. It has actually happened to me and I survived… But it was terrifying.
- Port-a-potties – I don’t want to sit where 10,000 other people have sat and relieved themselves. Bringing kids in a port-a-potty…that’s a whole new level of stress.
- Walking barefoot in a bathroom. The kids do this all the time and I nearly die. So disgusting. Hair, fungus, pee, and who knows what else. So gross.
- Running out of coffee – This can never happen. Ever.
- My bills – They are mounting every day. Scary thought.
- Bed bugs – Almost as horrific as bugs in your hair…bugs in your bed.
- Raising two girls. They are cute now, but they will grow into teenage girls. I am not prepared for this upcoming drama.
- The smell of my kids’ bathroom – It could kill you. Why is there always pee on the floor?
- Grasshoppers – Those bastards jump on you with those sticky legs. Sick. Being that I am terrified of them, I was blessed with a toddler that LOVES bugs and will pick them up and show them to me all the time.
- My body in a swimsuit – That is not something anyone wants to see. Kids…you did this!
- The thought of my toddler falling asleep in the car 2 minutes from home. Guaranteed no nap if this happens.
All of these things scare the bejesus out of me. What are some of the things that terrify you as a mom?
About the Author
Barrie describes herself as sarcastic, vocal, stubborn, strong willed, and kind of a pain in the ass. She has been married for 11 years and has three beautiful children boy (8), girl (6), and girl (3). Being a mom is one of the hardest things she has ever done, but also one of the most rewarding. She enjoys writing about the chaos, laughs, adventures, and pure exhaustion that motherhood brings. Barrie has been featured on Scary Mommy, Babble, Parent Co., Sammiches and Psych Meds, For Every Mom, and is a contributing writer on Modern Mom.